Zum Hauptinhalt springen Zur Hauptnavigation springen Zum Footer springen
[Translate to Englisch:] historisches Gebäude von außen - Bundesfinanzhof

History of the
Federal Fiscal Court

The Fleischerschlösschen palace

Zur Hauptnavigation springen Zum Footer springen

The Fleischerschlösschen palace

The Federal Fiscal Court is housed in a listed building within a park of approximately 18,000 square metres in Munich-Bogenhausen. The Reich Fiscal Court already resided here.

Originally, in the 15th century, the site was a farm, as a fief of the Freising monastery. In 1630 the feudal lord's family acquired part of the estate for ownership and built a "masonry house", which was subsequently extended and converted into a small manor house. This was the first "noble residence" in Bogenhausen. Through inheritance dispute it passed into other hands in 1683. In 1803 the estate was purchased by the Bavarian Minister of State and Conference at the time, Baron Maximilian von Montgelas.

The so-called Bogenhausener Vertrag was concluded in 1805 in his "Gartenhaus Bogenhausen". This secret treaty established Bavaria's alliance with France against Austria and Russia, its previous allies, and enabled Napoleon to march into Bavaria with his troops. In return, Bavaria was able to consolidate its territory and Elector Max IV Joseph of Bavaria was granted the royal title. As early as 1813, another rearrangement of the fronts was prepared at the country residence of the Minister of Montgelas: Field Marshal Prince Wrede received the order to conclude a new alliance treaty with the Habsburgs. After the death of Montgelas (1838) the estate was sold to Duke Max in Bavaria. However, the castle and outbuildings decayed over the years.

The site of today's Federal Fiscal Court (with the adjoining triangle up to Herkomerplatz) was finally acquired by the painter and paint manufacturer Professor Ernst Philipp Fleischer for the construction of a residential and society house. The structure of the building dates from 1909 to 1910. Construction work had to be suspended as early as 1910 due to the client's financial difficulties, leaving behind the ruins of Bogenhausen Castle.

In early 1919, the German Reich acquired the property through the mediation of the Bavarian Ministry of Finance, after its suitability, together with the unfinished building on it, for housing the Reich Fiscal Court had been established. Construction work commenced in 1921 according to the plans of the architect von Perignon in Art Deco style. They continued until 1924. In early 1923, however, it was already possible to accommodate two senates of the Reich Fiscal Court in the building in a makeshift manner.

The entire operations began on 15 September 1923. Formal handover of the building did not take place until 03 January 1924. Until the move to the "Fleischerschlösschen", the Reich Fiscal Court was housed in rented premises in Barerstrasse in Munich.

After the end of the Second World War, the building, which was partially damaged by bombs on the north side, was home to the Supreme Fiscal Court. Additionally, parts of the building were occupied by American occupation departments, a Munich tax office, the Bavarian Administrative Court and the Bavarian State Statistical Office. After these departments had left the building, the Fiscal Court Munich was also housed in the building from 1951 to 1956. It was not until March 1956 that the Federal Fiscal Court was able to make full use of its official premises.

Between 1972 and 1973, the library's former wood-panelled reading room on the first floor was converted into a second meeting room for oral hearings. The library was moved to a newly built, single-storey extension at the rear of the main building.

Almost exactly 20 years after this building measure, additional space had to be created again, as a lack of space meant that the documentation and information department as well as some judges and scientific staff had to be accommodated in rented premises near the Federal Fiscal Court. Above the single-storey library extension, two further storeys were "suspended" from a steel frame construction. This new extension is connected to the old building by a glazed transition wing. Since the end of 1995, all staff of the Federal Fiscal Court are once again housed in a single building complex.

The premises of the Federal Fiscal Court are largely furnished with paintings and sculptures on loan from the Bavarian State Painting Collections and the Federal Ministry of the Interior. In addition to so-called period art, especially in the form of portraits and landscape paintings from the 18th and 19th centuries, there are numerous contemporary works of art inside the building.

Print Page